I had the pleasure of taking Tania Fréchette’s Detox workshop on Friday night. It was perfect timing as I was fighting a cold. After a short talk, we went through an amazing yoga class.
Her approach to detoxing is to help the body be more efficient by doing different practices such as the 10 mentioned below. Our bodies are programmed to detoxify. The problem is that it can’t work properly if we are stressed and have an unhealthy lifestyle. If we exercise regularly and eat mainly whole foods our circulatory and digestive system can do their job more easily. Binge cleansing, such as taking pills for a week or fasting, only put more stress in on the body and can lead to detoxifying too fast and there is a risk or reabsorbing the toxins.
Here are Tanya’s 10 tips to help with detox:
1. Yoga. Include more twists, forward bends and side bends
• Breath of Fire. Cleanses the blood in 3 minutes. It also takes an average of 3 minutes for the liver to filter the blood completely. Releases deeply rooted toxins in the lungs, mucous membranes, blood vessels and cells.
• Long deep breathing. Activates the parasympathetic nervous system which helps us to rest and digest, promoting healthy immunity and efficient digestion.
• Alternate nostril breathing
3. Drink more water. Helps with waste removal.
4. Eat whole foods. The less processing of a food, the higher the nutritional gain.
5. Drink CCF tea (see recipe below)
6. Neti Pot. Cleanses and protects the nasal passages, one of our body’s first lines of defense against illness.
7. Tongue Scraping. Removes toxins from the tongue that have built-up overnight.
8. Meditation. Meditation helps to cleanse your subconscious mind.
9. Sleep. A rested body can digest and rejuvenate quicker. The body repairs itself through rest.
10. News fast. To reduce stress.
Cumin, Coriander and Fennel Tea
• Boil 3 cups of water
• Add 1/2 tsp of each seed
• Let steep for 5 minutes
• Strain and serve
-The tea can be stored in a thermos or in the refrigerator. You can drink it throughout the day, up to four cups. If there is a spice that you don’t like as much you can use less of it.
stokes the metabolism and the digestive fire
helps to purifies the blood.
reduces agitation and inflammation
calms and clarifies the mind