We had the pleasure of listening to Dr. Ellen Simone last night at the latest installment of the Health & Fitness TweetUp, hosted by yours truly.
It was something pretty timely as we’re all ramping up for another busy holiday season. See below for Dr. Simone’s five tips to boost your immune system and stay healthy this month amidst all the craziness:
- Eat the rainbow! Incorporating different colours of fruits and vegetables into your diet will ensure you are getting adequate amounts of vitamins A, E and C which are essential for immune system health.
- Create a consistent sleep routine: Sleeping about 6-8 hours a night on a regular basis is important. Too little sleep or poor quality sleep will depress your immune system.
- Spice up your meals with herbs: Garlic, onion, thyme and oregano add flavour to your favourite dishes and also kills bacteria and viruses.
- Take some time to relax: Put aside at least 15 minutes per day to do something you love like reading, listening to music or taking a bath. High stress levels depress your immune system.
- Exercise is the best medicine: Aim for 30 minutes of physical activity, 5 times per week to maintain an optimal immune system, manage stress and prevent chronic disease.